Moving Guide Checklist-At A Look

The act of moving is stressful to say the least. Changing your address to your new address is probably one of the less stressful part of moving compared to having to pack-up an entire house. Even so, it is not something to do last minute. It’s important to make the switch of address before the move or else your mail will not follow you to your new address. Your bills, monthly subscriptions and what not will be sitting in your former home and I doubt you’d want to miss any payments.moving guide checklist

Here are some tips to be positive that your mail will be moving along with you:
Once you get your new address and days before the moving date, take a quick trip to the post office and take a few minutes to fill out the US postal service’s official change of address form. The form is also known as PS Form 3575. If you don’t see them around the post office, just ask the staff who can assist you.
Writing down the old and new addresses on the form is essential but it is also important to remember to add the names of anyone else who will be moving. It’s not only you who receive the mail; your wife, husband or children receive snail mail too.
If you can’t make it to the post office during office hours, you can arrange to have your mail forwarded at your own convenience – online of course. You just have to complete a short form at the US postal service’s address change webpage and then you’re all set.
Take note that the change of address form is temporary. First class mail such as your mail is forwarded to your new address for a year. Periodicals such as newsletters and magazines are only forwarded for 60 days. After the expiration of the forwarding period, your mail will be sent to the dead-letter room at the post office or to your prior residence. to keep receiving your mail, you need to sent out change of address cards to everyone you do business. The cards are available at the post office for free.
For university or college students who are graduating or moving away for the summer, check with the residence office or campus mail service to inquire on the mail forwarding policies so you’ll continue to receive your mail.
For the bills that you receive from your utilities, credit card company or insurance provider, you can update your address information either on their website or usually they have a section to change the address in the mail that they send.